Jessie Griffith Stone Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains artifacts, ephemera, and printed matter related to Jessie’s studies in dressmaking while attending the Pratt Institute School of Household Science and Arts from 1913 to 1915.
- 1885 - 1915
- Majority of material found within 1914 - 1915
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public.
Conditions Governing Use
For permission to publish, contact the Archivist, Pratt Institute Library.
Biographical / Historical
Jessie Griffith Stone was born in Torrington Connecticut in 1892. She attended the School of Household Science and Arts at Pratt Institute from 1913 to 1915, earning a certificate in Trade Dressmaking. In 1919, Jessie returned to her hometown of Torrington and married Philip S. Rockefeller. They had two children together before divorcing in the mid-1930s. Jessie continued living in her Connecticut home with her children and Aunt, remaining an involved member of the community until her death on August 13th 1962.
1.4 Linear Feet (1 box, 3 artifact boxes, 1 oversize folder, 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
Within this collection are papers and artifacts belonging to Jessie Griffith Stone, later known as Jessie G. Rockefeller. Mrs. Rockefeller attended Pratt Institute’s School of Household Science and Arts from 1913 to 1915, where she earned a certificate in Trade Dressmaking. The collection includes samples of in-class work, such an embroidery workbook, notebooks, and artifacts related to sewing such as pincubes and spools. The materials date from 1885 to 1915.
The records are arranged in three series, one of which have been further arranged in subseries. The series and subseries arrangement of the records is as follows:
Series 1: Ephemera, 1885-1913
Series 2: Schoolwork, 1911-1915
2.2: Embroidery Workbook
2.3: Sewing Workbook
Series 3: Artifacts
- Costume design Subject Source: Fast
- Dressmaking Subject Source: Fast
- Ephemera Subject Source: Fast
- Fashion design Subject Source: Fast
- Home economics Subject Source: Fast
- New York (State) -- New York -- Brooklyn Subject Source: Fast
- Notebooks Subject Source: Fast
- Pratt Institute
- Pratt Institute. School of Home Economics
- Professional education of women Subject Source: Fast
- Sewing Subject Source: Fast
- Souvenirs (Keepsakes) Subject Source: Fast
- Guide to the Jessie Griffith Stone Papers
- Ruby Johnstone
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script