Skip to main content

Records of the Department of Exhibitions

 Collection
Identifier: PI-008

Scope and Contents

The Records of the Department of Exhibitions date from 1896 to 2016 and cover all exhibitions that have been hosted at Pratt Institute-owned locations on both the Brooklyn and Manhattan campuses. The records included in this collection consist of item checklists, exhibition catalogs, photographs of exhibitions, flyers and brochures, and press releases. Although the majority of the exhibitions contain an item checklist that lists the dates, artists, items, and occasionally insurance value, the rest of the records for individual exhibitions are inconsistent. These records can range from one press release about an exhibition to several copies of many types of documentation. Related to this collection is the Scrapbook collection that contains printed matter from early exhibitions. Although not all of the materials in the Scrapbooks relate to exhibitions, there may be useful information available here—from catalogs and invitations to newspaper reviews and clippings.

The first series, About the Department of Exhibitions, includes various exhibition schedules, important exhibition checklists, publicity from the department, and unknown date and location exhibition materials. Series 2 through 4 are based on the location of the exhibition: Pratt Manhattan Center, Institute Galleries, and Miscellaneous Locations.

Included at the end of the Miscellaneous Locations series are exhibition records that were maintained by former librarians that are Pratt-related exhibitions that took place off-campus or tangentially Pratt-associated exhibitions that took place off-campus. Many of the tangentially Pratt-associated exhibitions are alumni exhibitions at various New York City galleries.

Dates

  • 1896 - 2017
  • Majority of material found within 1970 - 2003

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to the public.

Conditions Governing Use

For permission to publish, contact the Archivist, Pratt Institute Library.

Biographical / Historical

Although it has not always been called the Department of Exhibitions, there has been some agency to coordinate exhibitions at Pratt Institute since at least 1896. In the early decades of the Institute, exhibitions were held in the gallery of the Library; the Museum displayed its permanent collection, as well as travelling exhibits and one-time showings.

Beginning in the 1960s, exhibitions were frequently held at the Manhattan outposts of Pratt Institute. These satellite campuses have changed addresses several times over the years: 46 Park Avenue until 1974, 160 Lexington Avenue (Pratt-Phoenix School of Design) until the 1980s, 295 Lafayette Street (Puck Building) through the 1990s, and 144 West 14th Street since 2001. Despite the changing addresses, the Manhattan campuses have always been referred to as Pratt Manhattan Center. Many major exhibitions continue to be held at the Pratt Manhattan Center where the Department of Exhibitions is located.

The Institute Galleries on the Pratt Institute campus in Brooklyn have changed buildings more than once. The original galleries in the Main Building were originally called the Institute Galleries, but were renamed the Norman and Rubelle Schafler Galleries in the 1990s. The Schafler Gallery is now located in the Chemistry Building and hosts many of the student exhibitions.

The Department of Exhibitions have hosted events at many other locations, both on and off campus. These locations include Higgins Hall, the Pratt Graphics Center, Steuben Hall, the President’s Gallery (in Main Building), Dekalb Hall, East Hall, ISC building, Terian Design Center, the Decoration and Design Building, the Library, and on campus in general. Moreover, Pratt students and faculty have been involved in exhibitions around the world as part of their curriculum.

Extent

5.95 Linear Feet (17 boxes, 1 oversize folder)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Department of Exhibitions has hosted art exhibitions in various locations on and off the Pratt Institute campus approximately since 1896. Records maintained in the course of the department’s activities include item checklists, photographs, press releases, flyers, and catalogs. The items in this collection range from 1896 to 2017 and are arranged by location.

Arrangement

The records are arranged primarily by the location of the exhibitions and are then arranged chronologically by the opening date. The records are arranged in four series, and the arrangement of the records is as follows:

Series 1: About the Department of Exhibitions, 1896-2003

Series 2: Pratt Manhattan Center, 1970-2016

Series 3: Institute Galleries, 1909-2006

Series 4: Miscellaneous Locations, 1896-2016

Related Materials

Records of the School of Art and Design (PI-010)

Scrapbooks
Title
Guide to the Records of the Department of Exhibitions
Author
Ian Post
Date
2014
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Pratt Institute Archives Repository

Contact:
200 Willoughby Avenue
Brooklyn NY 11205 United States
718-687-5381