Records of the Pratt Graphics Center
Scope and Contents
The Records of the Pratt Graphics Center measure 3.33 linear feet, plus 17 custom-made clamshell boxes and 6 oversized folders that collectively date from 1953 to 1985. The majority of the collection encompasses publications printed by the Adlib Press, including Adlib, Print Review, Keepsake, Artist’s Proof and multiple stand-alone works. In addition, the collection contains materials from several exhibitions created by the Graphics Center. More exhibitions can be further found in the Records of the Department of Exhibitions collection. The PGC collection includes marketing and promotional materials, such as press releases, circulars and reviews that announce exhibitions, workshops, classes and more. It consists of ephemera, including invitations, cards and programs/catalogs as well as correspondence letters and registration and subscription forms. The included formats are artists’ books, portfolios with illustrated leaves/plates and papers. Many papers that were originally located within publications have been taken out and kept within the relevant folder.
- 1953 - 1985
- Pratt Graphic Art Center (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public.
Conditions Governing Use
For permission to publish, contact the Institute Archivist, Pratt Institute Library at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biographical / Historical
The Pratt Graphics Center, also known as the Pratt Graphic Art Center, the Pratt Contemporaries Graphic Art Centre and the Pratt Center for Contemporary Printmaking was an international, non-profit graphic arts workshop and extension of Pratt Institute initiated by illustrator, printmaker and professor, Fritz Eichenberg, alongside artist and printmaker, Margaret Lowengrund. Under the direction of Lowengrund and Eichenberg, the Center opened in 1956 as the Pratt-Contemporaries Graphic Art Centre on 1343 Third Avenue in Manhattan. It moved to various locations throughout its lifespan, including 831 Broadway and then 160 Lexington Avenue in 1979. The Center was in operation through 1986 and offered workshop facilities, professional printing for artists, classes in printmaking media and exhibitions that featured students and guest artists from around the world. Some names that passed through include Andrew Stasik, who also served as Assistant Director and then Director, Ben Berns, Al Blaustein, Michael Ponce De Leon, Arnold Singer and many others.
The Pratt Adlib Press published several artists’ books, including Adlib, Keepsake, Artist’s Proof and Print Review. Adlib was started in 1953, three years before the Center’s opening by the Illustration Department’s Graphic Arts workshop. The annual publication featured distinct themes, such as “Modern Man” and “On Brooklyn,” that were mostly expressed through etchings and wood-and-linoleum cuts. It later became a project for the Art of the Book course in the Department of Graphic Arts at Pratt Institute up until its ending in 1968. Keepsake began in 1960 as an annual artist book and combined pre-published text with wood-cut and lithographic prints. Each edition arose from a collaboration of students, artists, designers, printers and authors. Artist’s Proof began in 1961 as a biannual magazine that collected news and reports on artists and activities within the contemporary printmaking world. It later switched to an annual publication in 1967. Print Review was a semi-annual and fully illustrated journal in publication from 1972 to 1985. It featured articles pertaining to graphic arts and printmaking for an audience of students, teachers, scholars, artists and collectors interested in current trends within the industry.
3.33 Linear Feet (8 boxes)
17 Boxes (17 custom clamshell boxes )
6 Folders (6 over-sized folders in flat-file drawers)
Language of Materials
The Records of the Pratt Graphics Center, also known as the Pratt Graphic Art Center, the Pratt Contemporaries Graphic Art Centre and the Pratt Center for Contemporary Printmaking, includes publications, exhibitions, marketing material, ephemera, and correspondence created by the Center from 1953 until 1985. Located in Manhattan and affiliated with Pratt Institute, the Pratt Graphics Center served as a printmaking workshop and gallery space that featured the work of students and faculty as well as numerous professional graphic artists like Fritz Eichenberg, who also served as the Center’s director until 1972 when Andrew Stasik took over as director. Additionally, the Graphics Center offered courses, lectures, and workshops on the graphic arts and hosted guest artists from around the world. A venture related to the Pratt Graphics Center, the Pratt Adlib Press published several artist’s books, including Adlib, Keepsake, Artist’s Proof and Print Review.
This collection is arranged in five series: 1. Marketing and Promotional Material, 2. Ephemera, 3. Correspondence, 4. Exhibitions and 5. Publications. The first series includes three folders that house circulars, press releases and reviews. The second series includes three folders that house invitations and one folder that houses bibliographies and programs. The third series includes four folders that house registration and subscription forms as well as correspondance letters. The fourth series encompasses several exhibitions hosted by the Pratt Graphics Center. Lastly, the fifth series is further divided by publication into five sub-series including Print Review, Adlib, Keepsake, Artist’s Proof and Miscellaneous Publications.
Series 1: Marketing and Promotional Material, 1956-1967 Series 2: Ephemera, 1958-1966 Series 3: Correspondence, 1957-1964 Series 4: Exhibitions, 1965-1983 Series 5: Publications, 1953-1985 Sub-Series 1: Print Review, 1972-1985 Sub-Series 2: Adlib, 1953-1968 Sub-Series 3: Keepsake, 1960-1969 Sub-Series 4: Artist’s Proof, 1961-1971 Sub-Series 5: Miscellaneous Publications, 1963-1973
No further accruals are expected.
Harmful Language Statement
If you encounter any perjorative language (i.e. racist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic) or content in the finding aids or within the content of the collection, please report this by emailing email@example.com. For more information how Pratt Institute Libraries are addressing offensive language and content in its catalogs and databases, please see our Harmful Language Statement:
This collection was processed and finding aid written by Sarah Cuk on August 31, 2021. Descriptive Rules Used: Finding aid adheres to that prescribed by Describing Archives: A Content Standard. Finding aid written in English.
- Guide to the Records of the Pratt Graphics Center
- Sarah Cuk
- November 12, 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description